Sunday, August 30th, is National Toasted Marshmallow Day! A day to celebrate that delicious treat many of us first enjoyed when we were just a kid! Marshmallows just taste so much better when they are toasted over a campfire or barbecue pit. So in celebration of the delicious snack, here are a few tasty facts about that little round cylinder of a treat:
1. Americans buy 90 million pounds of marshmallows each year.
2. Marshmallows were introduced and popularized in the United States in the early 1900’s.
3. Marshmallows were first made from the mallow plant native to Asia and Europe.
4. Each summer, 50% of all marshmallows sold are roasted over a fire.
5. Ligonier, Indiana is the marshmallow Capitol of the world and host to the Annual Marshmallow Festival.
There you are. Just a few simple facts about marshmallows. No excuse me while I hustled out to my own barbecue and roast myself some delicious marshmallows!