SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) _ A Syracuse hospital is banning electronic cigarettes after a female patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.
Fire department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard of Syracuse the exact cause of the fire last month at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he confirms the patient had a battery-powered electronic cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.
Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is back home and doing well.
Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have told patients e-cigarette use is not allowed. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use inside its buildings or outdoors on its campus.