Mayor Stephanie A. Miner today promoted six new officers in the fire department. These officers have a combined total of 89 years of service in the department. The new officers were sworn in during a city hall ceremony today.
"Our promoted officers represent some of the best and brightest our depart has to offer," said Syracuse Mayor Stephanie A. Miner. "Their promotion is a result of the strong leadership in our department and I am glad to see them move ahead in the ranks."
Today's promoted officers are:
· Robert Cussen will become a Deputy Chief. He joined the department in 1997 and was most recently promoted to district chief in 2010.
· Lee Eckl will become District Chief. He has been a Syracuse Firefighter since 2000. He serves on Engine 2 and is currently a captain.
· David Ellis will be promoted to Captain. He has been a firefighter since 2000. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 2009.
· Nicholas Pagano will be promoted to captain. He has been a firefighter since 2000. He is certified paramedic.
· Gary Lighton will be promoted to Lieutenant. He had served the department since 1993. He is also a member of the NYS Air National Guard.
· Zachary Smith will be promoted to Lieutenant. He has been a firefighter since 2006 and has a B.S. Degree in Aerospace engineering.